Monday, April 22, 2013

Cluster connection

The clusters have helped me a lot in making it easier to learn key terms such as race, ethnicity, and cultures. For example in English class I was able to learn the basics about racial formation because of Omi and Winant. I was then able to use these basics in order to better emphasize topics such as poverty in sociology by focusing on how these racial formations cause many minorities to be poverty stricken. I felt I didn't have to be like a light switch having to shut off the next topic in order to pertain to the next class. Many times, when i when i took classes that weren't intertwined with one another I had to switch to another set of ideas and sometimes different vocabulary. Since many ideas in the cluster were connected it was easier for me to learn and be able to associate them to one another. Thanks to this cluster I was able to learn how to associate certain ideas to one another.The classes have even changed the way I view race. I never realized how race and ethnicity can be defined very differently depending on social structures. Also, I never realized on how ethnicity is still a big issue I was one of those people who thought racial discrimination wasn't alive but   now I realized racial discrimination has just taken a different form. Many of these social classes continue to have Caucasians as the higher class. Minorities know their still being treated lowly but all have this idea that might be exception and be able to beat the system. The system in where we depend on cash assistance and minimum wage jobs to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment