Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Anti-Islamic Hate Crimes

When it comes to anti-Islamic hate crimes one must wonder has it better or has it worsened? To answer this question we need to examine collect and observe if there has been any changes. In the graph shown it correlates with a certain major incident in the year 2001. In 2001, there seems to be a huge increase of anti-Islamic hate crimes. Perhaps, the reason for this major spike in 2001 was one of the most major terrorist attack in United States which was the the attack on the twin towers. Since the twin towers incident the amount of anti-Islamic hate crime increased by more then 10 times more then the previous year. People are easily riled up when something major such as the twin towers incident happens they worry just about their safety and can even start stereotyping or generalizing based on race. This might be the reason why their was such an increase especially in 2001. People become oblivious to the fact that there are innocent people who end up suffering because of these anti-Islamic attacks. The only problem I have with this data is they don't really have particular details on where its taking place whether its in the United States or another country. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jasmine
    I read your response about The Anti-Islamic Hate Crimes, and sadly I found a correlation between some texts that I read in class too. For example, The Lynching of Jube Benson, Slave and Citizen, and Sports of the Gods where White Americans started stereotyping the African Americans and this situation left in North America terrible times as slavery, lynching, segregation, and racism. Sorrowfully, racism still presents today in this country, comparing your response with these texts I think that the cycle repeats the same situation where an ethnic group or a specific culture is judged by a specific event where the sentence is racism and hatred. Jasmine the Anti-Islamic Hate Crimes is an interesting situation that should be considered more often in this society. I have some questions for you. Do you find a specific case of crimes due to this situation? Do you think that twelve years after of twin towers attack and the death of Bin Laden the Americans keep the same Anti-Islamic position? What is your personal opinion about it?
    Jasmine thank you for let me read your response, it opened more my mind about different levels of discrimination. I was just focused on African American’s racism. After your response I thought about how easily the human beings create stereotypes and how we label specific cultures just for some situations. I am interesting in the topic on Anti-Islamic movement, perhaps you should refer me some text about it. If you would be interesting in African American’s racism I definitely recommend, Frank Tannenbaum Slave and Citizen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Judy,
    Thank you so much for your comment. You have great suggestions for editing my response such as including my opinion. Also, your suggestions are great for finalizing a claim I can include. I would definitely appreciate any sorts of recommendations as great resources involving racism.

    ReplyDelete